White concrete?

LS Property

I have read here before that some of you guys use bleach on concrete just to brighten it up. I have a residential job to do tomorrow and I plan on applying some bleach and was wondering what mix do you use and application. I was planning on using a chemical sprayer 1 gal bleach 2 gal water and some dawn any tips? I am using hot water too.

New Look

Registerd User
Hey Luke...are you cleaning the concrete or just trying to brighten it up a bit?

If you are just brightening it up without the cleaning consideration then I would suspect you will not need Dawn. I use Dawn as an additive to create foam or enhance my foaming capability. I do not rely on Dawn for any cleaning compounds.

New Look

Registerd User
Cleaning I was afraid of putting the chem down and it having some spots whiter than others

add the Dawn so you can get some foam action going with your mix. Without knowing or seeing how dirty the concrete is it is tough to gauge. However your mix ratio sounds safe enough where I think you can put it down on the concrete. The Dawn will help it suds up/Foam up some but not sure if just a SH or Bleach mix will do the trick. Your Hot Water will be your best resource on this project and I hope you are going at it with a Surface Cleaner.

Doug Rucker

PWN ADMIN TEAM -
Staff member
IMO your ratio is reversed. I'd use 2 gal SH to 1 gallon water. If your using store brand bleach which is 6%SH, then a go stronger on bleach, maybe add another gallon.

Instead of using Dawn, I use a cheap brand of Laundry Detergent, like ALL, or Arm and Hammer, whatever is cheapest and I add a cup, (this is also what I use for house wash.)

For driveway cleaning I rarely use anything before I clean unless it is really dirty like under a tree or something. Once the Driveway is clean then I hit it with the bleach solution and no rinse, just leave it t dry, to really brighten it up, especially when it's sunny out. ALways, pre wet the concrete before you clean though, the wetter it is the better it cleans. Just really opens up the pores of the concrete.

Your ratio of store bleach/SH to water can also depend on whether you ar DS'ing or Xjettin.

New Look

Registerd User
PICS....would love to see pics.

Doug...great advice and yea...the ratio first proposed is weak...good catch!!!

Last edited:
Oxalic acid really makes concrete look like new. If you have never used Oxalic acid, please be sure to read the safety and health precautions required to use the product. Full PPE is mandatory !

Doug Rucker

PWN ADMIN TEAM -
Staff member
Oxalic acid really makes concrete look like new. If you have never used Oxalic acid, please be sure to read the safety and health precautions required to use the product. Full PPE is mandatory !

Jim I have heard that a few times, but have not tried it yet. Are you using to pre treat or after you clean, and do you use it straight or dilute it?

I buy Oxalic 50 pounds at a time. I use 2 to 3 ounces per 5 gallons of water. Must use warm to hot water to get the crystals to dissolve, and the night before.

I use a respirator, full length acid gloves and eye protection when mixing and applying. The stuff can kill you, and unlike other acids or caustics, you can slash this stuff on you and you won't feel any burning or pain. The stuff absorbs through your skin, attaches the calcium and your kidneys.

Great for getting rust stains out of concrete, and for the added touch, we sometimes coat the entire driveway or concrete pad with a final application. Almost bleaches the concrete. Trick is even application. Can't just spot treat rust stains; the rust stain will vanish, but the area will stand out bright white.

I've only had one bad experience, a 10,000 square foot driveway. The sealer was bad on the driveway, and I assumed the Oxalic might be a problem with the failing sealer. I worded my contract with the disclaimer about the failed sealer. Looked good when it was wet, but after it dried the areas where we needed to do several applications of the Oxalic literally melted the failing sealer, and when it dried it looked like Elmer's glue had run down the driveway. The customer was not happy. The first and only claim I have ever had to file. Cost almost $5000 to remove and reclaim the remaining sealer, and have the driveway resealed.

Jim I have heard that a few times, but have not tried it yet. Are you using to pre treat or after you clean, and do you use it straight or dilute it?

Our Sponsors