Black Spots on Vinyl

Walt Edwards

Guys, I need some suggestions on cleaning vinyl siding. I use a premixed house cleaning compound that works really great on mold, mildew, etc, but I sometimes run across these black spots that the cleaner nor the pressure will remove. I've heard that they may be some type of spore. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Gosh Walt, i know exactly what your talking about, but i cant think of the name of it. It is on the tip of my fingers, but my hands just wont type it. This was discussed in the chatroom last week or two weeks ago. These things appear above flower/mulch beds mainly. Try emailing Shane, I believe he was the one talking about them in the chatroom. Sorry i couldnt be of more help, hang in there, we will find out.
look.gif

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Blaine Jackett

Check this out here. I think you might have spider or bug stains? That is the only black spots that I run into other than mildew. I came acroos a degreaser that worked great. The spots just disolve right before your eyes. I use a product called 'RELEASE' . If you want to e-mail me for the company info , please do. If your spots aren't caused by the bugs, try it anyway it doesn't harm the vinyl.

------------------
Jackett Enterprises Inc.
Houlton,Maine

spraymasters

Hey Walt,
All I can do is tell you what I use. We have done lots of vinyl siding homes and know exactly what you are talking about. They are little black star/spider like spots and they can cover a home in no time. I will give you the procedure we use.
1. Mix a 5 gallon bucket of 3 gallons heavy bleach, 2 quarts heavy duty laundry degergent or any degreaser soap may work for you and the rest water.
2. Apply with HOT water {125} from bottom to top.
3. Rinse off with HOT water using a 40 nozzle pretty close on the rough spots.
4. Hit the whole house with hot wax
5. Rinse with cold water
We have not had a problem with those little black buggers after this process...
email me if you need further help..
Dennis

------------------
Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Richard

Originally posted by Walt Edwards:
Guys, I need some suggestions on cleaning vinyl siding. I use a premixed house cleaning compound that works really great on mold, mildew, etc, but I sometimes run across these black spots that the cleaner nor the pressure will remove. I've heard that they may be some type of spore. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Hey walt; it sounds like its shot gun mold to me,p rimarily on the north face?
if it is shot gun mold it's a bear to get off and I do mean a bear!!
Richard

Express clean

Those black spots are called military spores They grow in double ground mulch.If you can pick it off with your fingernail but it still leaves the mark than we are talking about the same thing.Years ago I had a local university analyze them to see what they were.To prevent them tell the customer to make sure the mulch does not get packed down.Either break up once in awhile with a rake or get rid of mulch.I have never found anything that works well to remove them.Tell the customer you probably will not be able to remove them to cover yourself.Hope that helps

------------------
Preston A Hummel

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Express clean on March 07, 2000 ]</font>

Tony Ward

a.k.a. artillery fungus - it is actually shot up out of the ground ( usually mulch )

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Tony Ward on March 07, 2000 ]</font>

Walt Edwards

Thanks for all the advice. It sure will come in handy. This site is the greatest. I just signed up last night and haven't had a chance to review all the posts, but it looks like this is the place for a wealth of information. I'm still new, but if I can contribute to this site I will. Thanks again, Walt

Our Sponsors