acid and soap

TLeClair

I was told by a supplier that a customer downstreams acid at the same time they inject soap on the high side to wash fleets.
I figure this would cancel both products.
Any comments or experiences?
Thanks,
Todd

Dave Olson

Hi Todd,

Several years ago we had a small fleet (refer trailers) that we cleaned every couple weeks. The detergent that we used cleaned the side but brought the oxidized paint (pre painted panels) down and the lower aluminum rails did not look very good. We then came back and acid washed the rails. Later we found that by mixing the acid with the detergent we could get the equipment clean in one pass rather than two. We do not inject, we use a hose end sprayer.

I also thought that the two products mixed together would reduce the proformance of each but, on that fleet it worked!

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

Bruce

Dave, Just curious, how come you use both acid and soap at the same time instead of acid first and soap second!
Bruce

Dave Olson

Originally posted by Bruce:
Dave, Just curious, how come you use both acid and soap at the same time instead of acid first and soap second!
Bruce

Hi Bruce,
When we did the fleet that I was talking about we were quite new to truck washing(was about 14 years ago). The detergent that we were using did a great job on oils and paint but left a caustic type burn on the aluminum. We were trying to reduce the number of times that we had to cover the sides of these trailers. I know it sounds kinda dumb mixing detergent and acid but it worked and we reduced our time on these units.

This was at a time when HF was not classified as a poison. We have since reduced our use of HF to almost nill. We still brighten fan assemblys (kitchen exhaust systems) and the box on our main unit needs to be brightened a few times per year.

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

Bruce

Dave, I here where your coming from, We used to put degreaser in our soap to make it strong enough for it to clean, and yes it would turn the alum. brown if mixed to strong. since then we started using a high quality soap that cleans without the degreaser(caustic) in it, had to do something with all the polished trucks now days.
Burce

Our Sponsors