sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide?

spraymasters

I bought a bottle of M-1 at home depot to help clean roofs. Sodium hydroxide is the main ingredient. I thought maybe I could add some sodium hypochlorite to it to add some punch so I set out on a search of the internet to find what would happen if I mixed the two...came up with zilch, nada, zip, zero. Could not find anything on it at all. Well, I went to the grocery store with the wifee and was looking at the bleach section and came across Clorox Advantage. Got to looking at the ingredients and guess what????? Yeppers - sodium hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide. Can you beat that? Anyway, was wondering if anyone has tried that combo. Would hate to blow gloria up when I tell her to mix it...
thinkerg.gif

Dennis

------------------
Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

M

Mike@Everclear

Dennis,

Definately look into this very carefully before you procede, and let us know what you find out.

What surface do you want to clean with this concoction?

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

spraymasters

I am doing the roof I have been talking about. TOO LATE>>>>>>>>>>>already tried it on my own roof. Seemed to work very well on a roof that is 18 years old and heavy black marks. What I did was take a gallon of sodium hydroxide and 2 gallons of sodium hyprochlorite and the rest water in a 5 gallon pail. Then cut it further by 4 to 1 on a downstream. I did it myself....would never forgive myself if I blew up gloria
boom.gif

Anyone out there try this combo? Guess I will experiment alittle more. The M-1 is around 20 bucks a gallon which is pretty high for doing roofs if I only need the sodium hypochlorite. I let it dwell maybe a little too long also not sure...was harder to get off one side then the other. Anyway...thanks all!
Dennis

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by spraymasters on March 24, 2000 ]</font>

G

Glenn

Dennis,
What type of downstreamer is that you're getting a 4 to 1 on?
Glenn

spraymasters

Hey Glenn, I have a HydroTek 3400SS 5GPM with a downstream connector. If I open it all the way up it gives me approx. 4 to 1. That is what I was told anyway. Seems to work.
smile.gif

spraymasters

HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM,,,,,,went home today and found the roof to be "spotty"...must have missed it with the pressure washer...now...not happy with it. Might try just the M-1 next time and maybe not so close with the tip. DARN learning experiences!!
smile.gif

Den

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Richard

Hey Dennis
I used a mix that goes like this (I got it from the Owens Corning site),
1 cup TSP, 1Gal. Bleach, 4Gal.Water
UPTO
1Cup TSP, 2 1/2 Cup Bleach, 2 1/2GAl. Bleach

I've used this several times and have great results with absolutley no harm to plants, But I also soak the ground and plants extra well just as a precautionairy measure.

A lot of times if the roof is real moldy it will get slick so be carefull, also I've heard that some folks dont even rinse the roof down, they let the rain do it for them. there also a place that will ship a product to you that is supposed to do a great job and is safe to the ******ment it runs about $16 a gal an gets mixed 7 to 1 if you like I can e-mail the phone number to you. hope this helps
Richard

Hi All,
This is my first post on this BB. I hope it is informative.

Bleach is made by combining water and sodium hydroxide with chlorine. The end result being sodium hypochlorite.

We mix sod. hyp.(12.5%) and sod hyd.(in flake form)for many different cleaning applications. I have never had any adverse chemical reaction from mixing these two chemicals together. Probably because one is derived from the other. However we always wear the appropriate safety gear. Sodium hydroxide can cause severe eye damage and lung irritation.

For more info on sod. hyp. go to clorox.com, click on science and follow the links to product manufacturing. There is a full explanation.

Hope this helps, Keith

Lorin Grable

Keith,

I believe you meant to say that you mix CHLORINE of 12.5% strength (pool supply house liquid chlorine) NOT sodium hypochlorite of 12.5% strength...

Am I right?

spraymasters

Thanks all for your posts....think I will just stay off of those hard to clean roofs!
smile.gif

Den

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

ROOFCLEAN

Dennis, don't blow Gloria up!!
Just get the water hose in case things get real hot. Sodium hydroxide and sodium hypochlorite can be mixed, however, the dilution rate of the sodium hydroxide must be very high. If you mix the two together in undiluted form, it will turn a dark red and there will be seperation present as the chemicals do not mix well in this form. My suggestion to you is to find another product to clean your roofs. Sodium hypochloride is not recommended because it poses an ******nmental threat, will kill plants, and do harm to the roof. We would suggest you try www.ecctechnologies.com webiste for more information. Be careful!

spraymasters

thanks all.....we may still be doing roofs...
just the walkable kind and will try the new chem {like the idea I can get it at Walmart
smile.gif
}
Will keep you posted!!~~~~~
Den

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Our Sponsors