Welcome to the Power Wash Network "The Power Wash Contractors Forum".

View Poll Results: Is it OK to use bleach on wood?

Voters
232. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 28.45%
  • Sometimes

79 34.05%
  • Absolutely not

64 27.59%
  • Don't Know

23 9.91%
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Bleach...

Default Opinions on Bleach...

Thought this would be interesting................

Of course, I am referring to using it to clean decks that are merely dirty........not for decks that have a failing finish.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Hughes; 05-04-01 at 07:25 AM.

I think it is good for other things as well. I guess you know how I voted.
    Dan Flynn

Blog Entries

Unhappy

how do we tell who voted what way??????
    Ron Musgraves Phoenix AZ
    1-888-fleetwash

Sidewalk cleaning Phoenix Arizona
    Pressure Washing institute

When used with respect it is a great cleaner!
    "To Restore and Protect"
    J.R WOOD EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE* Morristown,NJ 1-973-267-7844
    "SINCE 1995"

Use bleach occasionally on decks but always for mold and mildew removal on buildings/homes....always with great results....

Craig
    Craig Knight

This is very interesting,218 views at this time and pretty much no one admits to using bleach.I use it and will readily admit it.I have yet to see this giant disasterous result from using bleach.A normal life span for a deck is about 10 to 15 years ,I have been in business for about 6 years and the first decks I ever did, were with bleach and water,I have a few loyal customers and the decks I did back then are still standing and looking all right for where we are this time.I Know I can go to any one of these decks and restore them to the condition they were 5 or 6 years ago. I am confused,If bleach was such a detriment to wood wouldn't the results be apparent by now? Your oppinions ar greatly appreciated,Thank you.
    I have had over 400 calls this season,and roughly 30% percent are repeat or referrals. Not a single complaint about the shape of their wood,or if it is falling apart.Maybe I am missinng something.
    "To Restore and Protect"
    J.R WOOD EXTERIOR MAINTENANCE* Morristown,NJ 1-973-267-7844
    "SINCE 1995"

I Voted sometimes cause I used it on painted wood siding a few times, where there were no plants around. Then I read your posts. I don't think I would ever use on a deck though. I know some do, but the way I do it now has worked so far. So why risk it, if there is a chance its not as safe on the wood, or plants? I still pre wet and cover everything.

If your only getting 10 to 15 years life out of a deck, somthing is wrong. Maby your seeing the effects of using bleach and just not knowing it. Bleach speeds up the degrading process, not blow it up.

A properly built and maintained deck using treated doug-fir should last twice that long. A deck properly built and maintained using cedar or redwood should last three times as long.

I don't think people would spend 30, 40, 50 thousand dollars to have a deck built if they knew it was only going to last 10 to 15 years. The deck I have on my home is 22 years old and it looks almost as good as it did the day I built it. Sorry, I just can't buy the 10 to 15 year stuff. I have never used bleach and I never will, it's a cheap fix with a long term problem.

Jim Bilyeu
    Exterior Woodcare

flying-d Guest

I think it's all about how diluted the mixture is. I use a mixture of bleach, TSP, and water (as recommended by Sikkens), and it works great and keeps costs down. Is it possible that the companies who make deck cleaners are the ones telling us over and over again how harmful bleach can be?

Never

This all comes down to a professional or DIYer.

Bleach used the right way 20 to 1 I would say is fine for wood, But bleach rots wood fibers just like it will do to your clothes.

I am hearing more and more about this Oxigenated Bleach? I understand it's good for trex decks. A customer I had wanted me to just wash his deck and he was going to seal it. It was a real easy deck and down the road so I lowballed him for the fun of it. Seemed like a nice guy. Next thing I get this letter in the mail from him with a sheet of how to clean with Oxigenated Bleach? Whaaa????? I told him he asked for a quick wash and then he started to go technical on me. I told him some one eles uses the bleach and he should call him. He called back a few days later saying he was going to forget the bleach... Yeah he saw the new price. No thanks red flag!

Nope no bleach
    Last edited by Tim Lynch; 09-15-03 at 08:09 AM.
    Why do I like doing Deck Refinishing? I like taking somthing that looks like crap and making it look like new. Why? Good question! I hate painting! Deck Refinishers don't paint!

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information