newbie doing 2000 sqft fence needs help

T

Target P/W

Hey all.

A Couple/three questions.
1) Looked at a white cedar fence 200 ft x 5 ft + other side = 2000 total.
The customer wants to re-paint it a indian reddy type colour and wants me to clean it up for him prior to stain (which he will do himself with an air gun). The stain is tiger striping in that it hasn't been touched in eight years and it is bare wood in tiger type stripes where is still has some of the original stain left. If he is redoing it with a solid stain, do I need to strip it and brighten it, or can I use T_______'s Deck and Fence cleaner, without a brightner, as it doesn't call for it anyways and give him the green light to paint/stain?.

2) I have seen many methods of pricing such a job but need some insight on a simple yet beneficial pricing formula that benefits both parties. .50cents per sqft???

3) How long will this take me?. I will be using a pump up sprayer to lay on the forementioned product followed by rinse using my rig.\

or/

- The product said it would be ok to siphon through my pressure washing unit by putting my soap draw hose into the opened jug of cleaner itself as the pump will pull from my main water supply and in turn pull from the jug at the same time. Upstreaming. There were no ingredients on the jug, so I am unsure of the consequences.????

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Sincerely,

Muddled.
aka. Chris

Shawn George

Hi Chris,

If you run a search on "STRIPPER" (little search button at the top of the page) there is a lot of good information on some recommended strippers and some pricing information.

I personally like to use strippers from the local paint store. These have taken off everything I have run across so far. Also includes a wood brightner to apply after stripping the wood.

We apply with a pump sprayer. Haven't tried sending through our machine, (not sure i want to). Let sit for 10 minutes or so, and blast it off the wood. (remember not to blast the wood too hard though.)

Good luck !
Shawn

Last edited:

JR Wood

If a solid is going to be applied and you are not involved ...all you have to do is clean the surface.I would use a bleach/sodium hydroxide combo(weak solution to avoid furring).This will satisfactory prep the surface for a solid stain,Neutralize if you want,but it really isn't your problem.The solid should fail in a couple of years anyway.Just my oppinion,please don't email me,I don't care.

T

Target P/W

Thanks for the help guys, but J.R Wood if you do not care, why bother replying at all.
That attitude does nothing for this board.
Thanks to all who do "care".

JR Wood

The"I don't care"was for all the people who were going to Email their opinions or try to sell me something.I DO care about helping people,and I hope some of my posts do that.

PS I am sorry if you took a particular meaning from my post...This time of year I am very busy,and sometimes my posts are abbreviated.Feel free to use the relevant info and disregard the parts you deem inappropriate.
Oh yeah, and feel free to send in your $50 if this board means that much to you.

Last edited:
T

Target P/W

Sorry for the misinterpretation J.R.
This board does mean alot to me with everyones expertise adding to it daily, I would be delighted to send a cheque for $50.00.
Once again, I apologize.

Our Sponsors