Opinions needed!!!!

Kevin

I washed a house with vinyl siding, and it had a large enclosed patio FULL of glass windows. I went back after the cleaning and noticed the windows were FULL of spots and the lady was cleaning them. I felt as if I should have cleaned them but how do you do it without losing $$$ and without trying to make another sale at the job site. Before you say anything about water, I used their city water. This seems like it might occur regularly. I need some pro opinions. Thanks!

Jon

Heck Kevin,

by now you ought to be a pro at things like that, I could be wrong but if you got the windows wet at least wipe them dry.

Since I don't do siding etc. I am not sure cleaning the windows is or should be included in price of job.

Now Kev, you was gonna send me some goodies from dem backwoods y'all livin, recall?
lickout.gif

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner coming through.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Jon on April 01, 2000 ]</font>

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Kevin,

It seems that customers realize that when you clean their home, their windows are going to catch some wash water. I mention this to my customers when i am washing window sills or around the windows while washing the brick/siding. I mention it along with telling them to watch for water seepage inside the windows, or if they arent home, to lay towels on window sill. This alerts them that although their windows will probably not look any worse, they will not look any better for sure. I have a window washing guy that i carry cards for and recommend, and we send each other business. This year, have had many customers call him in right behind me, so as i am finishing up, he is starting.
My point is, in my opinion, dont worry about the windows, just dont leave them any funkier than they were when you got there.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Laurie Grathen

<br><b>Premium Member<b><br>
Before we started in this business we had our house power washed and the windows looked horrible when they finished. It really irritated me and created a lot of work I hadn't expected or wanted.

Now that we wash a lot of houses, part of our service is to squeegee all windows that don't have screens. We sell this as part of our service and tell the customer that if they remove the screens before we arrive, we'll clean (squeegee) all the windows. It may be the single most powerful sales advantage we have. Though we charge more than anyone else in the area, we almost never lose a house wash job.

The investment in professional window washer squeegees was small and it takes only about 15 minutes to do that to the entire house, even if it's a big one. Build the cost into your bid and watch your business grow like gangbusters.

P.S. How in the world do you add smilies t the text of a message?
wink.gif

Jim Bilyeu

Hey Guys,
Here's something you may want to consider. Your liability insurance will only cover outside the scope of your contract. In other words, if you have windows mentioned in your contract, your liability insurance will not cover them. One deck we did about five years ago, we rinised off the windows. About three days later, I got a call from the homeowner saying that we scratched their windows. It cost my insurance company $18000.00 to replace those dam things. The moral to this is, be real carefull around windows, it could cost you a bunch. There are a lot of bad people out there just waiting for you. Have a great day.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Shane Clardy

I always stand back after the wash job and rinse, rinse, rinse . I also add cascade( rinse aid) dishwasher concentrate to my house wash. If its good for fine china then its good for windows. But no mater what you do Rinse rinse rinse stay away from window frames with high presssure and let the customer know ,this is what we do " we add a rinse aid to our house wash and do a thorough rinse job we don't call ourselves window cleaners but we take extra effort not to leave them spotty.

Harold Brantley

For years I've added 3 to 4 ounces of good industrial detergent to sodium hypochlorite (12 % to 15 %) and apply thru the down stream injector. Cleans mildew and dirt extremely well, doesn't kill the flowers and when rinsed well leaves the windows much cleaner than before you washed. This stronger chlorine also will work wonders on old grayed wood decks and fences without making them look "bleached out". Just spray, wait and rinse.

------------------

M

Mike@Everclear

Shane, How much Cascade are you throwing into the mix??

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Shane Clardy

Mike
I guess I'm like that cajun cook guy on TV . I am not to exact on my ingredients . but I mix a five gallon house wash solution . and then around a 1/2 pint of liquid dishwasher cascade.
You know when you add it to your dish washer in that little resivore it last for several loads so I don't think it takes much for it to sheath water spots.

Works pretty good

G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

We make them aware ahead of time that the windows will need cleaned and offer to include that in the bid. If they don't mind cleaning them they will do it, if they do then we charge them accordingly.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com
NEW E-Mail address: GCR PowerClean@cs.com

John Thomas

When I finish was a house I squeegie the windows before leaving the job.This is a little extra that I do for the customer and I think it pays off,especially for seniors.So far it has worked out ok.

Have a good day John

Clean County

Kevin, If you want to make extra money add window cleaning to your business.The more labor that you do the more money you should be able to pocket.

M

Mike@Everclear

I always mention to the customer that our intent is to clean the siding, and that as a side effect of that the windows may need to be cleaned afterwards. I make a point to mention this so there are no suprises. I always offer them a price for exterior window cleaning. Some take it, some don't. But it's great when you can add another $50 to $70 dollars to a job.
(I charge $3 per window)

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Wash Wagon

From now on, just let the customer know that window washing and power washing are 2 different jobs. You should be able to handle this yourself though. I guess that if I were to pay someone to wash my house that I would like the windows clean also. It shouldn't take but a few extra minutes. All you need is a squeegie. You may or may not want to charge extra. (you won't lose a fortune if you don't). If you don't charge extra, be sure to tell the customer you will "throw the windows in for free". Everybody loves the word FREE.

------------------
John May

Our Sponsors