Question for ReadySeal users

reedsterstl

Most of the deck wood here in the St Louis area is a "red" cedar. Red is very noticable when wet. The natural cedar color ReadySeal seems to be even more red when applied to this wood type. I am wondering if the light brown is better for this. Have talked with Chris and Pete at sunbrite and they were the first to mention that it may look a little more red. On the fences it looks great, but the decks I have to agree about looking more red and dark. Anyone with food for thought about this? Does the light brown lighten up more than the natural cedar on this type of wood? Open for new ideas. I apply most of the readyseal with a 3/4" napped roller or a "twinkie" type contractors roller.

Richard R.

I would agree with rvagnoni.

For whatever it's worth:
On the light cedar that's popular here, the light brown has a gold tint to it.
As for the red cedar, I would imagine it would be more of a light red tint such like a damp wood effect. I would suspect if a customer wanted a lighter "red" tinting effect on the red cedar, light brown would be the route to go.
It would definitely be worth buying some different woods to be sure.
I do know that the deck I'm doing now with light "red" is turning out a lot darker than the customer and I had anticipated.
It was treated lumber and in some places, it's pretty dark.
Now the light cedar lattice that I applied the med red to, has a beautiful light to medium red tint to it, but the treated wood deck turned out real dark, almost dark brown. She doesn't seem real happy about it, but it doesn't look bad. If I had it to do it over again, I would have probably recommended natural ceder or light brown. Lack of experience may have me guessing wrong but I'm starting to believe that anytime you have a treated lumber and the customer wants that new look, it's better to stay with the lightest color which in this case is the light brown or gold.
I have to say though, by looking at my homemade cedar chart on a light cedar board, the gold and the light brown or not to far off from one another.
Hope this may help.
Richard R.

Last edited:

Mike Hughes

I agree also. I dont usually use Nat Cedar on the really red decks...........but I have in the past and the customer liked it.......it all depends on the taste of the consumer. Go with the light brown if you don't want it to be too red.

Remember, it will tone down a bit after is on there for two weeks or so............so, when you first put it on, don't freak out........it settles down.

reedsterstl

I used both the natural cedar and the light brown on our fence. i have to admit the light brown was very impressive, but definitely requires 3 coats. The natural cedar covered with 2 coats and side by side you can tell a difference in the two. I am sold on doing this two tone with the light brown and will use the Cuprinol Pastel White. I had some great luck with the white on an all white deck. With two coats it turned out great and covered some rust spots I couldn't get up. Thanks for everyones input.

By the way, yesterday was a great day. I became a grandpa:D It's a BOY

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Congratulation,

That must be a wonderful event, to see the one you brought into this world. Give live to their own child. I am expecting to be a first time father in late Dec and can't wait.

We really feel blessed to have this opportunity. We have been trying for sometime now. I can only wish to be in your shoes someday. To see your miracle create a miracle is a true blessing.

Good luck with your new live as a grandfather. I know your proud, and you should be.

Have a great day.

Our Sponsors