Water based Cuprinol

Mike Hughes

I have a large deck to bid on that is stained with a Cuprinol water based product........Redwood color.

I am considering applying the same thing, since that seems to be what the customer wants. Do I need to strip the old sealer off first? I have never worked with water based before.......anything I should know?

Also, they have some sections of deck that were just recently added.........a cedar shake roof...........they want that sealed to match. Can I use the same product on the new cedar?

rvagnoni

MIKE,

Sherwin Williams sells that sealer. You might try stopping by one of their nearby stores and talk to one of thier reps. I also know of another contractor who has used that particular sealer for years and may be of some help. Give me a call and I will tell you more about it.

Aplus

Mike,
You didn't mention whether it was semi-transparent or solid color. My experience is that latex (water) based semi's look over-all best when stripped first. If it's a solid, then a good washing is all that's needed. If it's a semi, and you are trying to match the roof, then stripping and brightening would be appropriate. I've used Cuprinol several times, and it's fairly decent. It should strip well with Stripex-L.

Hope this helps,
Tony

Mike Hughes

Tony,

Thanks for your reply.

It is a semi.......not solid.

I'm not a huge fan of using the Stripex........have you ever tried Sodium Hydroxide on it??

Mike

Jon Fife

hi Mike,

why not bust out the hd-80??? i love that stuff, darn near gone through a bucket in a week and a half.

Jon Fife
Nashville,TN

Aplus

Mike,
Like JR said, Stripex-L is indeed sodium hydroxide. Actually, it is a lot more powerful then is needed to strip the Cuprinol. I have found the Cuprinol removes pretty easy, much like Olympic semi's do. PowerLift by Flood will work, as well as SafeStrip by TWP. I prefer to use the milder strippers whenever I can, because I don't like to deal with the harsher sodium hydroxide stuff anymore than I have to. Just too much unneeded health and environmental risks.

Tony

Paul

I was using the cuprinol water based the first part of 1999 and this year when going around to retreat, I found that using the EFC-38 from Ext. Solutions worked real good at getting it off without the extra step of stripping. I went back with the oil based product though, better color retention.

Last edited:

Our Sponsors