Vinyl Siding PSI Recommendations

C

conakry

To all of you who have washed houses with vinyl siding, I would like to know what psi you recommend with cold water. I am using a bleach / emulsifier solution one of you recommended on another post.

ron

my 2 cents worth

you should research [use the search button on this site] the X-JET.
OR AT LEAST MAKE YOUR OWN. As discribed by CHUCK.
FAST,SIMPLE,EFFECTIVE WAY TO WASH VYNAL.
Get the one made for your psi and gpm and dont forget to get the close range tip[it's a small extra, but you will need it]

the_GUNN_man

I use about 1500 - 2000 psi sometimes less. I hardly ever go above 2000 psi for siding. I use limonene for my house wash and use a chlorine solution for heavy mold areas. I will use a spray bottle to spray on the chlorine in trouble areas if I can reach it. I use the x-jet and I love it. Can't imagine washing without one. The problem with using a soap injector is that it dilutes the chemical too much. I find that using too much chlorine on vinyl siding leaves it chaulky. The limonene has some gloss enhancers in it to help not leave the sidng so dull looking. I have never had to use a lot of pressure to get off mold. That melts away with chlorine. There is shotgun fungus that gets on siding that is about impossible to get off after it has been on a couple weeks. No matter how much pressure it will not come off. I have even tried 4000 psi, hot water, strong chems, etc. Shotgun fungus is hard to remove. It always leaves a stain behind. It is like it burns itself into the vinyl. How are you changing the pressure on your machine? Are you turning down the unloader or changing tips? I recommend changing tips. Turning down your unloader decreases your flow(gpm). You never want to decrease your flow.

Chuck Richard

i prefer to downstream chems onto vynal myself. Works great and uses less chems.

You can apply and rinse chems with same tip,a 0040.

With the cold water you will need a slightly stronger mix and longer dwell time and do alot longer rinse job for best results.

I suggest in a 5 gal. bucket using 2 gal. 15%sodium hypochlorite, 1 gal. emulsifier plus, half small bottle of ultra ivory and the rest water.

usig the 0040 tip will give you about 1500-2000 psi depending on your machine specs.

just my way of doing it, but there are many many ways.Find what works best 4 u by trying alot of different ways.

C

conakry

I plan on reducing my psi by using tips for the reason you mentioned.

I have a 24' peak I need to reach so I may use an extension wand with a chem tip to apply, and then rinse from top down with somewhere around 1500 psi, using a 25 or 40 tip.

I may look into the x jet a bit. I have an extension wand that I can use in the mean time.

Does the emulsifier, like the limonene, leave the siding less chalky?

ron

CONARKY the chaulkyness comes from the siding being neglected.
Dirt sticks to it , then the rain and wind rub it around. It works like sandpaper. Once the top layer is sanded it will stay chaulky unless you put a sealer on it.
They have spray[downstreamer] on,wash off types of sealers for this. Some use a truck wax but it wont last long.
This is where you stop useing the word "cleaning" and use the word "restoration". You charge more for restoration then cleaning.
cant list the co. that sell's the sealer on this site.
rottie72@aol.com

C

conakry

Okay, help me out here...I assume the sealer gets sprayed on - bottom to top like the cleaner, and is then rinsed top down?

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes when newbee's read some of these post they get confused as what to do or use.

When you say you use the right stuff and it comes clean they wonder why they have to buy chemicals.

Is plain water,heat and pressure the right stuff to clean vinyl?

A gimmick,could be,alot of gimmicks out there tho,fussy,fizzel,add on.

Aplus

A good sealer acts as a barrier between the harsh environment, and the bare siding surface. The idea is to help repel dirt from accumulating, and to make it easier to rinse off bird droppings and such.

Think of it as the same idea as to why you would wax your car....to help protect the finish.....right?

You also get an upsell opportunity selling the sealer.

Last edited:

ron

i use it when after it's clean ,you can rub your finger on it and the choulkyness and color will come off on your finger.
Dirt sticks to the siding and the wind and rain move the dirt around. It act's like sandpaper. After you wash it it still looks dull.
Clean but dull.
The sealer works to give it some life. Nothing real special but nice on darker colors. I dont use it on every house.
I do add a wax to my rinse water for my house cleaning.
It works like RAIN-X on glass.
My house wash customers are every 2 years, if they were every year i might not use the sealer.
It wont WOW you if you use it.
The everbrite will but thats like painting not PWing.

Larry L.

Would distance have something to do with how much psi you can use on vinyl as in from tip of wand to point of impact,would heat cause damage to vinyl.

ron have you tried the sil-o-wet on a truck,I've offen wondered about it.
Think I have already gave it to a newbee afew years ago but will look and see if I still have the valve with the ball,it will take a day or so looking,if I still have it,I'll send it to ya.

Aplus

Justin,

You shouldn't bash a product you know nothing about.

You need to try the wax on your own house and see how it works. I use it on my house, have for several years, I know it works. When I spray it on, water will just sheet right off, you can instantly see it. Bird droppings will also rinse right off. And for the windows...it is in fact similar to rain-x......the water beads right off. On my house, the effects lasts about 3-4 months.

I include the wax as an optional item when I quote a house wash. 9 out of 10 will agree to waxing after the benefits are explained to them.

Maybe you are a part timer and you don't realize the need to maximize the $$ on each job.

For me, doing this full time, I need to make every job I do as profitable as possible. If there is an opportunity to sell additional services or products, I take it, as most people who are serious about their business do.

Every service and product I sell I also use myself. What better way to feel confident selling something, than having first hand experience on your own stuff?

How can you even question what constitutes a harsh environment to vinyl? Don't you know?

Regardless if you can get it clean, vinyl is continually being damaged by UV rays, acid rain, bird and spider droppings, etc. The wax basically acts as a sacrificial layer. The siding will look better, longer.

I liken it to applying a product like Armor All to the dashboard in your car. No it doesn't last forever, but it does look really good for a period of time.

ron

"not convinced it is good value for my customer's"
"much rather see my customer every year and double MY money"
HUMMMM.

Larry L.

"And I don't use Armor All on my vehicles. All it does is collect dust."

It also will crack the dash and leather over time.

If the vinyl siding is still in good shape why change it in 20,30,or more years.If wax or a sealer will prolong it another year or several,it will out way the cost of having to replace the vinyl.The wax is like your wifes lip'stick,its a cover up to make them look pretty until she either takes it off or it wears off,which is reapplied either way to prolong that pretty look.

By keeping something clean will not make it last unless to put a protection on it after you have cleaned it.

It doesn't mean just b/c you applied a wax or sealer you should ship a cleaning,to prolong something you have to reapply protection.

I don't want to scare ya when I say I apply wax on everything I wash for free.

hadishon

How much extra do you charge to add the wax? Where can you purchase this wax? Also, do you use this wax on other house types or only vinyl?

Thanks!

Larry L.

Most wholesalers that sale powerwashing supplies will have a wax or can get it for you.I do not charge for the wax and I wax everthing I wash(unless they are painting),the cost is pennies on the dallor as the reason I do not charge for.Not only that but it will make the next wash easier which means you save on cleaning chemicals,which means the wax really doesn't cost anything..pennies on the dallor.

Our Sponsors