chlorine

• Thread starter pressurewashing
  • Start date
P

pressurewashing

I am trying to find out about the 12% chlorine. Saw on one post where you could get it at walmart but it is called calcium hypochlorite. Found that in the swimming pool section but how do you mix it?

Thanks for everyones help.
Jim & Shirley

spraymasters

You can mix it like you do your bleach just that it is a little under 3 times the strength. Normal bleach is 5.95% and you are working with 12.5% more than likely. It all depends on what you plan on using it for.
For example, for cleaning decks you would use it full strength...then neutralize. For cleaning houses you would cut it by half..just my preference...
Let me know if I can help further.
Den

------------------
Living Life On the Edge Makes Us Dizzy...WE LOVE DIZZY!

Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Express clean

I have been cleaning only houses and decks for 15 yrs now.I have been using sodium Hypochloritesince day 1.I never have had a problem but make sure you prewet and rinse all plants.I buy mine at the local pool supply.$10.00 for a 5 gal bucket.Idilute all buckets 50/50 and then run thru downstream at about 10-1 ratio.

Bigreds

Just wondered what kind of houses are you cleaning with the clorine, Aluminum, wood, or vinyl? And how good does it clean decks amd fences?

AranServices

Originally posted by Bigreds:
Just wondered what kind of houses are you cleaning with the clorine, Aluminum, wood, or vinyl? And how good does it clean decks amd fences?

DON'T USE CHLORINE on a deck!
Have you ever seen what bleach does to a cotton shirt? It can put some serious holes in it!
Cotton is a natural fiber like wood. Chlorine compromises the integrity of the wood fiber. It destroys it! A lot of times when you wash a deck and get a lot of matting (or fuzz)That is because it has been washed with bleach!

Do what you want! Good Luck!

------------------
Cleaning America - One Job At A Time!

E-MAIL: aran@bellsouth.net
Our URL: http://easypath.to/pressurewashing

Express clean

I use it on vinyl,aluminum,asbestos,and stucco siding I don't use it on cedar siding or decks.Although I think the jury is out on that one. i think if you rinse heavily you will be ok.When I first started I used bleach on cedar siding and I have done those same homes since and they are fine

------------------
Preston A Hummel

spraymasters

We use the chlorine to do vinyl siding homes. We have used bleach on wood but do not any longer. We now use a percarbonate based cleaner. But many swear by the bleach and then neutralizing. Works great for them. But you are right,,,,,the jury is out.
Den

------------------
Living Life On the Edge Makes Us Dizzy...WE LOVE DIZZY!

Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

T

The Wizard

If you use Chlorine, take my advice. NEVER run it thru your pump. Chlorine loves to eat anything Brass. Your pump head and unloader is brass and so is your trigger gun. If you have lots of money to spend on all of those parts then go ahead.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com The Artist formerly Known as Hotwaterwizard

J

Jim&Shirley

Most of the things we are cleaning concrete sometimes brick. Want to try to get out the stain from bubble gum off concrete. Last week in the chat room we discussed the use of 12.5% bleach on the stains but I have been unable to find it around here. I have managed to get a powder of calicum hydrochlorite from walmart and was woundering exactly how to mix it to get the 12.5% bleach. I am needing to know how many cups of powder to water for a gal. Also if I have the right stuff? Any help would be appreciated.
P.S. WE USE ONLY A PUMP-UP SPRAYER FOR CAUSTIC CHEMICALS,BUT GOOD ADVICE FOR NEWBEES.
Thanks guy and gals
Shirley

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jim&Shirley (edited August 11, 2000).]

Tony Ward

Calcium Hypochlorite will be next to impossible to mix thoroughly. It won't dissolve completely in the water to the degree you would need them to without special methods and I don't know what they are but you'll probably have to stick with liquid sodium hypochlorite. The Calcium Hypochlorite will leave a severe salty deposit on whatever you are cleaning. 12.5% bleach is strong stuff but you'll pay extra for it and if you can get 5.25% bleach at Wal Mart or wherever for $.76/gal then that might be a better deal, especially since many chemical companies let their 12.5% stuff sit around in warehouses getting weak anyway.

I know it would be nice to have a physically small supply of powder on hand to mix up when need be but Calcium Hypochlorite isn't it, unfortunately.

Tony

PS Oh, yeah - bleach won't work on gum stains but I heard somewhere that acetone will.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tony Ward (edited August 10, 2000).]

J

Jim&Shirley

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND REPLYS, CONCERNING THE USE AS BLEACH ON CLEANING WOOD, THOMPSONS DECK WASH has been around over 20 yrs MAIN INGREDITENT IS BLEACH.
JIM,SHIRLEY
------------------

[This message has been edited by Jim&Shirley (edited August 11, 2000).]

nedparks

Here comes the dumb question of the week. I have a downstream injector. It has a very pretty brass knob that you can close and open to adjust the amount of soap or whatever. No marks are on it. How do I know what is 10 to 1 or whatever?

Ned

------------------
Ned Parks
Power Steam Cleaning
Akron,Ohio
330-328-8309
nedparks@yahoo.com

Ned,
Take a half gallon of water and put your suction hose into the gallon jug. Take your nozzle off your lance and spray into a bucket until the half gallon of water is gone. Measure what you have in the bucket and that will tell you what dilution rate you are getting.(1/2 gal times 4 1/2 gals is 9 to 1). This process is called Calibration.
Ron/Xterior

------------------

Our Sponsors