black dots on siding?????????????????

Dan S

i hate doing houses .... however i have this customer that has black dots on his siding i thought maybe it was bat POOP ??? anyways what is it ?
it will come off with your finger nail but it's almost like tar ( kinda ) ... what will take it off>>>>???
i know there is some one on this board that has a answer ,and can tell me what it is POOP OR ?
it's about the size of a ball point pen mark if that helps ya..... a quick reply is in order here..

------------------
have a great day and GOD bless!!!!!

Robert

I also have ran into this poop stuff too.. The only thing it may be in this area that I can pin point out would be fly poop, grasshopper poop and wrap poop... Yes this is very hard to remove and have'nt yet figure a way to make it easy...Just have to wash a little longer at it..

------------------

Express clean

They are called artillary spores and as a rule of thumb they do not come off. I have tried everything over the years.They grow in the mulch

------------------
Preston A Hummel

[This message has been edited by Express clean (edited August 28, 2000).]

ALL-BRITE

SO I am not the only one working with those black dots.
Earlier this yr I had a customer call me with the same problem. These were caused from FLYS. I sprayed my citrus cleaner on them and they just started disolving without even scrubbing. It worked great!. Then I had to order more of the same chem later (ran out). This time I thinned out my mixture too much and it will not work as well. The other day It was impossible to get them off. I thought about trying Soft Scrub to see if that would work.
If anyone else has tried that let me know. Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Mike Hughes

These buggers are not from insects of any kind......like was mentioned above, it is called Artillery or Shotgun Fungus. They come from down in the mulch and propel themselves onto the house.....that's why you only see them on the lower half of the house for the most part.

The quicker you get to them the better your chances of getting them off. I was told once that if you got to them within three weeks of them attaching to the house, you could get them off easily......I could never prove that statement.

When I give a bid on a home that has artillery fungus on it, I educate the customer on what it is, where it came from, and warn them that sometimes they will come up and other times they won't. I explain it this way to everyone and I have never had anyone give me a hard time about it.

Usually I am a perfectionist, but I do not go out of my way to remove artillery fungus......it annoys me. The only time I really try is when it is vinyl siding, because you can beat on vinyl a little more then aluminum. I think hot water helps, but I rarely try the hot water due to the proximity to flower beds and such.

I hope this helped....

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Dan S

yes it helped BUT........ what is artillary fungas??
i know that may be a dumb ?????????? but i know he will ask. and how do they - it - jump unto the building?
also this building has both alum. and vinyl.. how about using a brush? and strong cleaner?
like i said before i hate house's except fer my own..

------------------

Jim Bilyeu

Hello Every one. What your talking about sounds like what we are fighting here in the Pacific Northwest. We call it shotgun spores. Starts out looking like some one took a pen and started tapping on the wood or siding, little black dots.

We have found that this is just another specie of mildew spore. Out here if you don't get them under controll, the little black dots will grow into big black dots and pretty soon they will take over the whole house and turn it black.

Mildew spores are every where. They are air born and will settle on anything, encluding a freshly cleaned deck or house. The more trees and shrubery you have around the house, the more spores you have air born. Once they are on the house or deck, conditions have to be just right and then they start to grow into the black dots. In other words, the black dots are the spores growing. It's like a carrot, you can't see the carrot in the ground, just the bush above.

We have found that by using a commercial mildewcide, we can controll and stop their grouth. Bleach may retard their grouth but it won't stop them from coming back.The product we use will.

Mildew spores can remain dormant for years. Conditions have to be just right before they start to grow.

Hope this has helped a little.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare.

------------------

Dan S

wow--------
great reply's
great info.
thanks so much ><><><><><><><><><><

------------------

Rob S

Help with black dots!

HELP! :( This may be less of a power washing problem and more of a biology problem - BUT, I need help. Excited about my new home, I became very discouraged last year when I began to notice the little black dots spreading. I have vinyl siding, but this stuff is now everywhere. I felt responsible when friend parked his car in my driveway when he went on a trip, only to return to find the little black dots all over his car! We had a wet summer last year in Pennsylvania, but I also thought that I saw an increase of the dots after my lawn was treated. We live near an airport, and initially I thought that it was airplane fuel or oil. -I've asked several neighbors, and NOone else has this problem.

As a single, lady on a tight budget, trying to keep my property looking nice - I don't know what to do. I would be willing to try to find someone who would use the mildewcide - but more importanly, I am looking for a long-term solution. How can I get it to stop? I have had the same mulch for 3 years now - should I dig it up and dispose of it? Spray it w/ the mildewside - or dig it up and then spray around my house to try to kill off any residue from the old mulch? I don't want to spend teh $$ cleaning my "spots" if they are just going to keep returning. Should I get out now, and sell my house?? Are they going to take over and make big black spots all over the place. Help!
-Robin

HeavyChevy

Once they are there (for at least a month or so) they will ALWAYS be there. You can scrape them off with your fingernail, however they will usually still leave a slight stain. The only option is to paint over them. Good luck matching the paint! Best advice on this subject is PREVENTION. Keep the wood mulch AWAY from the vinyl, ESPECIALLY in the sunny areas!

jzox2001

Being in PA the black dots are deffenitly probably artillery fungus. Very common in the Northeast from mulch. Below is a link of some information from Penn State University on the subject. In addition, I make sure I carry a print out of the article on the second link with me, when I run into a customer that has this problem with their property. It's helpful to show them and explain to them that the problem isn't fly crap, but a fungus. It's usually not too far afterwards that they end up replacing the mulch with decorative stone. Not much you can do to remove it on vinyl siding. You can scrap it off with your finger nail, but it leaves a stain in the vinyl. I talked to some folks at Eaco chem, and they recomended SafeRetore to remove the stains, but that stuff isn't cheap, and well let's just say not too plant friendly. But if you want a good weed killer, it turns anything brown in 2 minutes :)

JZ

Artillery Fungus- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
ARTILLERY FUNGUS THREATENS HOMEOWNERS, MULCH INDUSTRY

Tim1052

Spots on Siding

I have seen shot gun fungus on siding before and how its just sporatic all over the siding...

But let me ask you guys this.... For example... I had a home I recently cleaned, located on a large lake.... Lake front property, that gets alot of spiders and bugs...

Now all around the lights there are specks, some black.. some brown... thought it was from the bugs, flys, etc... leaving their mark :)

My house wash mix just didn't seem to cut through it, agitated with a brush.. couldnt break it loose... I almost wondered, since it may have sat there long enough... It kinda etched into the siding (painted aluminum)

I probably should have posted this as a seperate message.... But I was curious if anyone else has had this problem.... its not around the flower beds or on the side of the home... just around the porch lights...

And while I'm at it.... Anyone have any tricks of their own on Cobwebs... This place was loaded with them... Great environment for spiders to thrive lakeside...

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Tim

Our Sponsors