Staining between deck boards?

R. E. Crouse

I recently completed a wash/stain on a 800 sq. ft. deck. The deck looks great, and the customer was happy when we left. She has now called to complain that she notices unstained wood in the spaces between the floor boards. I have never had this problem before, and after inspection of the deck, I feel that her complaint is unreasonable. It will cost me considerably to stain between every floor board, between man hours and material. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tim Lynch

Use a real thin brush taped on a broom stick.

Unreasonable yes. Did you spray or pad? Was the deck sealed before you got the job? Were the cracks done? If not explain thats un nessasary labor for what you charged and charge for the extra service. Maybe she is just complaining about a few boards?

Big cracks? if so you should have knowen, small cracks well you should try and get out it is BS. 800 sq ft? It could of been worse.
If you used oil based sealer you are going to have to watch out or your going to end up with sticky spotting as well as shine and lapping.

If you use a spray like Dave said you could cut a strip in some card board tapes the edge lay it on the crack line hit it with the sprayer and wipe up any over spray right away.

Good luck...

PressurePros

The customer is always right. If you have gone this far, I wouldn't argue with her, just bite the bullet and make her a positive in your referral column.

R. E. Crouse

Thanks for the replies!

I am going back Wednesday to fit her "problem". I really do feel that it is a bit ridiculous, but she is the customer. I am going to use a pump-up sprayer, and have someone follow behind with a small brush attached to a pole. Thanks again guys!

Our Sponsors