Tar, Kerosene and Deisel

StarrJ

I read the thread Jim Bilyeu wrote concerning the use a of deisel and hydraulic oil being used as a protectant for wood, but I'm hearing people say tar, asphault and kerosene is good to mix with stains too. I'm having 7,000 linear feet of fence stained by the end of the month and want to know all I can about this subject.

Does anyone know what this is all about?

Thanks,
Starr

Jon Fife

Oh great, now Starr Jones has entered the staining business:)

Listen, I have no interest in convincing you what the right thing to do is. This is America, and if you want to apply Elmer's Glue to your fence I'll support you every step of the way. But really, does it seem like a good idea to you to add all of these ingredients together to make a stain/stain additive, assuming you goal is beauty, longevity, and ease of maintenance?? Who would you be able to hire that would willfully do this job for you, knowing they'd be running these type of products through their sprayers, etc?

No offense, but I imagine you've been getting your advice from some old-timers. These type of treatments were used decades ago, but with stricter enviro. laws, fire/flash laws, etc. most have outgrown them.

I'm sure what has happened is you started running the numbers and figured out how much stain you'd need/how much it would cost and you are looking for a cheaper alternative. I don't think this is a good idea, however. Aside from the hassles, dangers, testing, etc. these home remedies had no anti-fungal capabilities, and your fence would probably turn black within a year if you do this. Good luck!!

Our Sponsors