Winter Window Washing

Total Vision

I was wondering what is the best way to wash windows during the colder winter months without cracking or breaking the glass. I have washed windows in Phoenix and Southern California but recently moved back to KS and started my own business and I have never had to deal with washing windows in cold weather.

Any advise would be appreciated,

Thanks

DrWhipIt

I've never heard of breakage problems due to cold temps. I've cleaned windows in sub-freezing weather and never had a problem. I could see it being a problem if you use very hot water, so I would avoid that. Instead, use a generous dose of winshield-washer fluid or alcohol in your solution, wear water-proof gloves, and count on jobs taking 10-20% longer due to the loss of dexterity and taking a break to warm-up your hands. Of course I'm assuming you squeegee.

kotared

winter washing

[hello] I live in Tenn and it doesnt get sub cold here but I would like to know what kind of windshield fluid to us and if deice will it be ok to do inside
as well will it not take the paint off the window sill and if i us alcohol what type and how much to a gal Thanks Trisha

Total Vision

Thanks for the info. What would you consider a generous dose of windshield fluid? Also, does anyone have any recomendations on gloves to use during the winter?

DrWhipIt

Kotared: I add winshield washer fluid (any brand as long as it says "anti-freeze") after inside work. As for amounts, I keep adding until my solution stops freezing on the wand or window.
Total Vision: See above and Glacier Gloves are great but you lose "feel" for the work. Seal Skins are great but once they're wet, don't seem to keep as warm. Any good window washing supplier carries a selection of winter gloves.
You really need to count on productivity dropping during cold weather. During winter months, I don't schedule any outside work 'till after noon.

canuck

from canada

I am from Canada so I know cold.
Ettore has the best rubber gloves for cold weather. Seal skin is a waste of time.
As for windshield washer fluid in your cleaning water.
Up here in Canada we have a washer fluid that has a detergent in it and is rated upto -45c it is green in color. This is the best stuff out there.
The regular blue stuff is not bad but requires a lot more soap and can really only be used as a 50/50 combo which is only good to about -10c.
Using any soap that has oxygen added to it makes cleaning easier and always use cold water. Hot water just is not a good idea.

MR CLEAN

canuck said:
I am from Canada so I know cold.
Ettore has the best rubber gloves for cold weather. Seal skin is a waste of time.
As for windshield washer fluid in your cleaning water.
Up here in Canada we have a washer fluid that has a detergent in it and is rated upto -45c it is green in color. This is the best stuff out there.
The regular blue stuff is not bad but requires a lot more soap and can really only be used as a 50/50 combo which is only good to about -10c.
Using any soap that has oxygen added to it makes cleaning easier and always use cold water. Hot water just is not a good idea.
I read your post, and was wondering what is the name of the green washer fluid, and where can you get it.

Pro Plus

Can you tell me the name of the washer fluid that has detergent in it you use to wash windows.

Thanks
Pro Plus Power Washing

clearview

glacier gloves work great for winter weather window cleaning. my hands will start to sweat in them over time. you can also put rubbing alchohol in your water. probably costs more than using windshield wiper fluid however.

Our Sponsors