Parking lot oil & grime (tuff stuff)

countryboync

I am just starting some flat work. A assphalt parking lot. I would like to know what would be one of the easist ways to attack this job such as a reasonbly priced cleaner. The spaces they want cleaned are in front of the stores. I got the square footage it is seven feet by eighty feet. this equals to 560sq feet Is this right? I figured it to be 31cents a square foot. Which comes to 175dollars. Is this a fair price? Any of your advice would be great. thank you

------------------

P

Pressure Washer Zone Man

Countryboync,

Here are my thoughts hope they help!

I would recommend a caustic type cleaner on the asphalt, it is important to brush it around a little bit, with a stiff brush, then thoroughly rinse with HOT water. If the chemical is left on the asphalt too long it will attack the asphalt.

Remember you may not get 100% of the stain off the asphalt without damaging the surface!

(We have a number of contract cleaners we work with who will apply an oil absorbent first if there is a lot of oil on surface.)

Your price sounds OK to me but it really depends on the market in your area.

icon17.gif
yawn.gif
Time for some Java !

------------------
Mark McIntyre: AKA: Pressure Washer Zone Man. <A HREF="http://www.pressurewasherzone.com

Let" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pressurewasherzone.com

Let</A> us know if we can be of assistance.
Mark@easycleansystems.com

pressurewasherzone.com

H

Hotwaterwizard

A surface cleaner or spinner ,hot water and, soap with caustic soda in it.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Mark & coutrybockn

Listen to what you said; don’t let the caustic sit on the asphalt too long because it will eat it. You mean it will damage it costing the customer about 30 dollars a foot to reseal. Why would you recommend something dangerous when you could use some other types of cleaners that would attack the oil and not damage someone’s sealed surface. I know commonly cleaners use caustics, its cheap and easy to use. Caustic cleaners are solid and usually need to be rinsed off well. I wouldn’t know weather the soil in this guy’s area has a low or high ph. These things need to be taken into account. There could be landscaping where he will rinse these chemicals. If he has a high ph level, this could kill plants or make them UN healthy. Sorry for seaming critical on this point. 90% of contractors in my area use caustic and our levels are high in Arizona. This is ok for fleet guys but flat workers can use better and safer chemicals. One thing you where right about is it will destroy the asphalt. Caustics and asphalt don’t mix. Resealing cost thousands and if the customer is resealing use caustic. What would I recommend? Don’t use it, if you decide you cant find something safer just be careful. E-mail and we can talk.

The price your charging sounds good.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

johny

Hey !
A few weekends ago ,i noticed a guy washing Taco bell.Since i am knew in this business,i stopped and had a talk with his boss.He was out of town contractor and said he is using truck wash on asphalt.He told me that it is the cheapest chemical.Has anyone tried it???
He should know what he is talking about.He has been in business for 20 years and stays covered.The guy was sitting in his van and smoking a big cigar,while his employees were washing the lot.Must be nice.
Just wondering what you guys think about that,since i have never had chance to try it.
See ya later,Johny

------------------

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny,

I will assume you use caustic cleaners. Truck was usually is caustic based and works great on concrete. However its not cheap, caustic is cheap truck wash is more expensive. You can get a 50lbs. Bag of caustic for a few dollars and it will go along way. Truck wash is about 265.00 to 325.00 a drum. At least a quality brand such as zep. They both work wonderful on concrete drive thru and sidewalks. I hope all my competitors keep using lots of caustic cleaners where they should not. That’s make life easier for myself.
Major manufactures produce concrete cleaner with caustic in them. They have for about 30 years. Paint manufactures used lead paint for 75yrs. Most responsible producers will warn you that asphalt and caustic doesn’t mix. You choose yourself weather you want to use it. It’s perfectly legal. I don’t condemn anyone that uses it. Hey fleet guys need to use it. Trucking Company’s know and expect that they will reseal if they’re not using concrete pads. Taco bell doesn’t know that the guy 20 yrs in business did not understand or care about their asphalt. My point is you have herd two not one pro here tell you about the problem. Read the label make your own choice.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Scott Stone

Hey Ron,
Not all truck washers use Caustic.
wink.gif

Scott

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Hey Scott recken we're missing something cuz he said fleet washers need to use it.Caustic has its place in washing but not in todays fleet washing,I think.I'm more afraid of the caustic then HF when it comes to my heath,besides caustic is like the brush I don't need it for fleet washing
laughing.gif

Scott have you tried DNB-1433?just orded some to try.................C-ya

------------------
When In Doubt,,,,Think It Out.

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Big boy,

You obviously don’t know that the majority of truck, car washes & mobile washer use this chemical on a daily basis. If you found a carwash not using it I would like to know.
Caustics can be used in a safe environment. The only point I was trying to make is so many people use it wrong. I use caustics myself circumstances arise when conditions are right. As far as dangers most of the chemicals we all use are hazardous and safety has to come first. My post was made in frustration. Contractors causing damage to someone’ property have made life easier for myself. The frustration comes when others who have been damaged lump us all together.

Scott,

That’s great, I would be using caustics if I fleet washed. When I washed all the alternatives where very expensive.

Flat work guys,

There is a time and a place to use caustic. If you use it on asphalt be careful.
Is this politically correct now? I was just trying to help not ridiculed or get ridiculed.
If I have offended those using caustic, oh well sorry.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Scott Stone

Let me know how the DNB 1433 works. Last I heard they were having problems with MSDS. I want to know so let me know. I still hate Hf. It is way to dangerous for my taste.
Scott

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Ron

Yes I know majority of the fleet washers use caustic and I can understand your frustration.
I know some carwashs that have had to repaint the cars cuz of caustic,even know some that add degreaser to the soap mix just to make more suds.Like you said its a great cleaner for fleet washers,I used it up until 4 years ago.In my search for the wonder chemicals I have found other chemicals to clean fleets with,,without worrying about caustic for what it will do to paint and some metals.Its like you said to may people use it wrong or just plain don't know when,where and how to use,,thought your reply to the post was great advice.

Scott it may take a couple weeks before I can tellem,cuz I'm over booked on farm eqt..It takes me awhile to put a new chemical though all the test,will let ya know.............C-ya

------------------
When In Doubt,,,,Think It Out.

Jon

Ron,

Never took your remarks the wrong way, I would hope most here understand we all have those days when someone ask a question or replies and it is not politically correct.

Gawd I hate that saying, why can we not simply say it is not proper? Now if I were talking openly I would say the word "politically correct" sucks! who coined that saying anyway, the Donkeys or Elephants?

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner coming through.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Our Sponsors