House washing mixtures

csoldier

Hi. I am new to this board. I need some advice. What are some of the mixtures you use to wash houses--vinyl, wood- to remove dirt, mildew, and algae? I have spent lots of time and money trying to find the best mixture. I generally use 3 gal. bleach, 1 cup Tide, 1 quart Jomax, and 1 gal. of a citrus cleaner. I apply it using a chemical injector on the end of the wand. However, there are times when the bleach doesn't seem strong enough or it gets to diluted when coming out of the injector. I spend lots of time going over and over areas of heavy alge, and lots of money on chems. Any advice to help us be more efficient?
Thanks!
Mark

Power Clean

Mark,

you may find that everyone has a different mixture ratio was there washing needs. Some refuse to use certain products, and some use all products with care. plus it depends on how you decide to protect the planting around the house if at all.

anyway, here's what i use per 5 gal pail.

1/2-1 gal dnb 1430 (depending on condition, 1 gal has to be bad)
6 qts ultra beach
1 big squirt of cascade pure rinse
1 pint r-109 (for good luck if i have it in the van!)
1 x-jet, 50:1 proportion

this will do about 3000 sq ft home.

if you're lucky, you'll get several responses and you can pick and choose as you like...

oh by the way, i do try to cover plants... customer see's me protecting their plants and they smile.

welcome to the board.... lots of good advice here, so lots of us pick new ideas frequently.

good luck,
roy

Power Clean

Mark,

you may find that everyone has a different mixture ratio based on their washing needs. Some refuse to use certain products, and most use all products with care. plus it depends on how you decide to protect the planting around the house if at all.

anyway, here's what i use per 5 gal pail.

1/2-1 gal dnb 1430 (depending on condition, 1 gal has to be bad)
6 qts ultra beach
1 big squirt of cascade pure rinse
1 pint r-109 (for good luck if i have it in the van!)
1 x-jet, 50:1 proportion

this will do about 3000 sq ft home.

if you're lucky, you'll get several responses and you can pick and choose as you like...

oh by the way, i do try to cover plants... customer see's me protecting their plants and they smile.

welcome to the board.... lots of good advice here, so lots of us pick new ideas frequently.

good luck,
roy

JR Wood

2 Gallons bleach
1 cup of clear rinse tide
1/2 cup sodium hydroxide
the rest water in a 5 gallon bucket
Spray through a shurflo,let sit and basically just rinse and everthing is clean as a whistle.
I don't think I would mix citric acid with bleach.

Richard R.

csoldier,
A good while back I asked the same question and just happen to stick with the mix JR suggested.
You can't loose with it. I have to get the Sodium Hydroxide through the ultra Clorox, also suggested to me by JR.
Sometimes, depending on the surface, I add one or two more cups of Tide and a little more ultra clorox.
I rarely ever cover the plants anymore unless there seems to be a group of plants that may appear a little more sensitive.
I start by watering down all vegetation and then rinsing again everytime I'm finished with about a 10 x 10 area. So far, I've had some pretty good luck. I merely watch my spray and try to re-rinse the vegatation as I go. I used to apply it through my machine, but my shurflo works a lot better. I bought an inexpensive dolly from Home Depot, mounted the 14 gal chemical tank and the shurflo pump to the bottom frame with straps , I then mounted a (Prestone) 12 volt "Jump It" pack to the upper frame and a Bright Orange Home Depot electrical cord open Reel containing about 100ft of low pressure hose mounted to the outside frame. Now everytime I do a building or a house, I wheel my homemade chemical applicator around with me, apply the chemical straight from my shurflo. It seems to be 10 times better than anything I've ever tryed.
Hope this Helps

Richard R.

JR Wood

Richard,
You are on the right track.I did the exact same thing with the home depot thing.Instead of using a big tank I got an upright dolly and use a 5 gallon bucket.I also use a deep cycle marine battery and a marine cycle charger rather than plugging in.It takes 15 minutes to charge and lasts all day.I have never run out of juice even with a solid 8 hours of sealing with it. Thing is awesome.And using stronger chemicals cuts down cleaning time dramatically.

Richard R.

JR.
Sounds like yours is a lot easier to clean too. I've never thought of using the marine battery before. Although, I do have my set up on an up right dolly. I just wish there was a way to check yours
out. I know this is a lot to ask, but you wouldn't happen to have a picture of it would you? Just thought I'd ask. I'm always for making something easier better, and faster.
It sounds like you have this stuff down to an art.
Once Again, Thanks for the tip.

Richard R.

Richard R.

Does anyone know why you can't edit without adding an entire new post? I've even tryed to delete one of my post but it want let me do it.

Richard R.

ParadiseProWash

Well I guess I am differnt because I bought my mix and mixed up 55gallons of it. I bought Emulsifer from Envirospec and added their Speed X777 additive. The additive is suppose to cut down on your rinse time and it does I dont have the trouble on the windows that you guys described ealier. I then take it to a 5 gallon jug and mix 2 gallons of concentrate to 3 gallons of bleach. I have used this mixture for three yrs and have not had a problem with windows or landscaping. I can mix the concentrate for about $2.00 a gallon by buying in bulk.

The five gallon bucket will cost me around $2.00 a gallon for concentrate = 4.00 + 3 gallons of bleach around $1.00 gallon = 3.00 so for 5 gallons of mix I have a cost of $7.00 not to bad for cleaning chemicals. [jr]

Richard R.

ParadiseProWash,

Sounds like you have a pretty good thing going there. Sounds like a little to expensive for me, but if it works for you, that's the main thing. However, I've never seen 3 gallons of bleach in 5 gallons of water not hurt some vegatation without rinsing the vegetation first. I have however seen my helper destroy some flowers with less bleach in an overspray situation.
As for the windows, you might try using a little vinegar which is probably a lot cheaper and it works just as well on streak free windows.
I think in the long run, Jr's and Mark's mix is a little less expensive when you get down to the mathematical equation.
When you figure 2 gallons of ultra Clorox, (sodium hypochlorite and sodium Hydroxide) is about $1.40 each X 2 = $2.80 plus .25 cents for a cup of clear rinse tide and if needed .15 cents for a cup or two of vinegar to enhance the clear rinse part of the tide, this would only equate to about $3.20 per 5 gallons.
I of course on the other hand, fudge a little but get extremely good results. In an extreme case scenario and the best results I've found yet, I use a 14 gal shurflo tank to mix 3 gals of ultra clorox bleach, 4 lids of deep cleansing Tide, a large squirt of cascade and the rest water. This large amount covers a lot of sq. ft for less than $5.00. and I've never seen much dirt, mold or mildew be able to with stand this mix.
$7.00 per 5 gals. is a little much for me, which equates to about $21.00 per 14 gallons. I would use it if I had to, but $5.00 per 14 gals enhances my profit margin quiet well over a long period of time.

Either way we slice this pie, csoldier is using chemicals that he could get by without and I don't blame him for wanting to re adjust his mixture.

CSoldier, if it were me, I would definitely drop the citrus cleaner and Jomax. I would stick to the bleach or change to ultra clorox to get the hydroxide and of course, keep the tide. The hydroxide makes a pretty big difference in most cases. Eitherway, you can't loose and it shouldn't cost you but about $3.25 per 5 gals.
Keep one thing in mind, as long as you continue to push your chemical through your high pressure rig, it's going to cost you a little bit more and force you to use more chemicals than needed.
Hope this helps
Richard R.

ParadiseProWash

Richard I am just curious as to how much chemical it takes you to wash a house. I can wash 3 one story houses with just one 5 gallon mix up. Do you have to use alot of that chemical or can you do the same. I started out with this chemical mix but I would change if you folks are using about the same amount.

[whatup]

Richard R.

ParadiseProwash,
I don't mix my house wash that way. I guess if I did, I would have to mix water and 2 or 3 gals of sodium hypochorite 10% and delute it later at each job site. Actually, by doing it the other way, I guess my way probably wouldn't be much less expensive than yours. I just don't understand why you would buy a 55 gal drum of emulsifier and the extra additive (speed x777) when water is cheaper and it's my understanding that your mixing it with sodium hypochlorite anyway.
I may not be understanding how and why you are doing this and the purpose behind it, but it wouldn't be the first time I didn't understand something or someone.

Please don't take offense to any of this because I am truly trying to learn more about chemicals, costs, effects and everything possible included.
To me, it's just that when you figure the overall math, Jr's and Marks way just sounds less expensive, easier to mix and just as effective. If I haven't learned anything else, the one thing I have learned is that the two main ingredients in a house wash mix is sodium hypochlorite, and a surfactant. Anything else you add is usually in vain. If the sodium hydroxide became expensive, I would just drop it from my mix because the two simple ingredients actually works just fine. I just think a little hydroxide helps strengthen the others. As for the windows, vinegar is about the cheapest way I've found that will keep windows from spotting and streaking and it seems to work as well as anything on the market, including the name brand additives and for the most part, it's about as cheap as water.

I'm just as interested in a less expensive way as anyone else so maybe you could help me understand your method verses their method and where the overall comparison is.

The one thing I've notice about Jr's method and why it's less expensive is that he usually only uses three ingredients with the water. Sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide and a surfactant (Pure Rinse Tide) which already has the spot and streak fighters in it. I believe it is about the same as my using the vinegar or pure rinse cascade with Deep Cleaning Tide. His way is cheaper, but I just can't seem to find the Pure Rinse Tide in my area, so if I want the streak and spot free results, I have to use the vinegar or pure rinse cascade.

Hope this helps to explain my earlier post.

Richard R.

Last edited:

ParadiseProWash

I to am just learning. I started out using the Home Depot Junk and yes thats what it is Junk I used it for a while on houses and such and the hole time I was seaching for something that would work. That is before I foud this Web site or De cos. I did however find Enviro pec and got a catalog. I figured that a chemist should know more that me so I bought it and I like it. I am not saying that one is any better than the other I to am just trying to understand and no I dont think I would take any offense to some constructinve critisim.

Thanks for the conversation here though because I am allways looking for better. As to why I mix the bleach, I used it without bleach for two years and have just started adding the bleach to the mix. Enviro pec actually advised that it would help to keep the mold and mildew from coming back so soon their mix will clean it but will not kill the mold and mildew. :)

Jeremy Garrett

Window etching, overspray, soaps

I am wondering if the mixture with the bleach, sodiom hydroxide and clear rinse can leave a film or etch window if applied to a hot window and allowed to dry. I use EnviroS soaps and they will definately etch windows if allowed to dry, so I am always worried about the overspray hurting the houses next door and cars. I know glowry has a truck was that is supposed to be able to dry on the surface of glass and be fine but costs $600 hundred and something, which for me is to much to use to wash houses. Thanks Jeremy

Richard R.

ParadiseProWash,

I hope you didn't review my earlier reply as criticism, constructive or otherwise. I do not have enough experience nor am I qualified to criticize anyone. My opinions or ideas are based mostly on information I've received from the more experienced and unselfish members of this network. From reading some of your post, it is obvious you take this profession very serious and your someone who strives to be the best you can be.
My prayers are with You and Your Family as you continue to endure your daughters medical tribulations.

Best Wishes

Richard R.

Last edited:

ParadiseProWash

No Richard I dont take offense I am just trying to help and be helped. I have come to respect these guys on this board and though I may not have ever met any of them I still fell that we are all here for the same reason to learn and to make friends with people that do the same thing we do day in and day out. I just meant that I appreciate constructive critisism not to imply that you had done it. Thumbs up and good luck and thanks for the concern about the family means alot to me. :)

Richard R.

Hi Jeremy,

Your right to be concerned about the surrounding objects such as neighboring vehicles etc...
As for etching windows, I personally have not had any of these types of problems brought to my attention, nor have I witnessed this occurrence.
Now keep in mind, we are only talking about glass windows and the ingredients that have been introduced in this mix is somewhat equivalent to a solution or chemical comparable to washing your laundry or dishes in your residential appliances. The only caution factor that I would advise is that you not risk mixing this solutions with cleaners containing ammonia or hand washing chemicals to avoid the known risk of dangerous fumes that may occur. The Cascade listed in this mix, already contains chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and silicant salts and is designed to use under hot and cold conditions, so if it were to get on a window, I don't think increasing the hypochlorite will increase the risk of etching. Besides, a good power washer rinses all surfaces with clean water prior to the application of any chemicals. The only other ingredient in Jr's simple homemade house washing mixture is the sodium hydroxide, which by all means demands common respect and should be carefully used with the users good sound judement and discretion based on the amount used. Now understand that the suggested amount of sodium hydroxide is a small amount and has proved to be completely safe as long as the users exercises the normal precautions as with all other chemicals used in cleaning commercial, residential and common known surfaces.
This is the reason most professional power washers urge us to rinse or saturate all surfaces, (mainly vegetation), prior to application. Anyone who fails to adhere to their advise is asking for problems as you would expect, when applying any and all other chemicals.

Jeremy,
To be more plain and simple, I don't think you'll have much to worry about when using this mix to wash houses.
I don't recommend this mix solely for washing windows, but I haven't witnesses any problems with my over spray on attached windows of homes I've cleaned so far.
Suggestion: When washing close to a window, rinse the window first, apply your chemicals to surrounding surfaces. Follow by rinsing the windows as well as possible before washing further. It appears that damage occurs when applying chemicals to a dry surface so if you rinse in the beginning and rinse at the end, I believe you'll be ok.
Before Janruary of this year, I knew nothing about this profession. The information that I am passing on is information I've learned from this network board in less than six months.

Hope this Helps.

Richard R.

Steven Rowlett

We use RPC 675, our own brand. Mix 1/2 gallon with 1 1/2 gallons of bleach in a 5 gallon pail , fill with water and apply with the X-jet. The x X-jet has a 1:6 to 1:0 ratio and works great. Other injectors look like the X-jet but do not have the same draw.
Steven Rowlett
ROWLETT PRESSURE
CLEANING SERVICE
1-800-357-6295
www.rowlettpressure.com

Steven Rowlett

Paradise Pro Wash. We use 1/2 Gal. of RPC 675 , 2 of the 3/4 Gal. jugs of ultra bleach in a 5 Gal. bucket and fill the rest with water. We use the X-jet injector because of its draw rate. It will empty a Gal. bucket in 2 minutes. I don't think any other injector on the market can do that.Yes youwill use more chemicals , but it will cut your time by 1/3 of other methods and WILL WORK. When you consider the time you will save and the ease of this application you will see this is the way to go. We also use HOT WATER, would you take a bath in cold water? Hot water is a good selling point with your customers. If you mix the RPC 675 1:1 with water and run through the X-jet on the gutters prior to cleaning the house it will take care of gutter streaks on most applications. Please view our website for more information. We are located between Nashville and Murfreesboro, TN
Steven Rowlett
ROWLETT PRESSURE
CLEANING SERVICE
1-800-357-6295
www.rowlettpressure.com

Our Sponsors