How much money do PW's make a year, full time?

K

kmk42019

I am thinking about starting a pressure washing company up. I know the first year is slow but how much does the average full time, self employed pressure washer make a year? I know it varies by region, Im in baltimore.

Clean County

Look up at the sky....there is your limit.

It all depends on how you advertise, what it is that your cleaning, will you have any helpers(employees) and how much time can you commit to this business. I would say in your area without knowing what your target market is along with many other missing info...$50,000-$75,000 is an attainable goal for the first year. This would be if you went at it fulltime and of course a guestimate.

Good luck

CaroliProWash

Are you talking about you personally or a company income, gross or net? Our company grosses over 6 figures a year no problem. WE personally don't make poop :)

Celeste

PressurePros

Two posts.. One was "how much can I make" and the other was "give me some quick tips how to do it". I've been around long enough to realize that people entering business with this type of mentality will not make it. If I gave him true numbers it would probably just whet his desire to get into it even faster. Maybe I am wrong but I wanted to see his reaction to what I wrote.

5 Star Johnny

We have some really nice trucks, trailers & shiny equipment. All paid for from our efforts. Have a large shop, office and nice property. All being paid for from our efforts. Other than that, we're still waiting for the "rich" part.

Our first season we grossed just under 6 figures, with a 28% net before tax profit. That all went back into the operation. As does the majority of our proceeds each season, after our business & personal bills are paid for. When I was a sales/marketing manager, I made nearly 6 figures in salary, and was miserable. Now, I could claim poverty level, but would not change anything. We have a strong business model & plan, and a defined vision for our company & personal futures. So, someday I'll vacation on the beach all winter, but until then, work, work, work. Did I mention work?

That being said, it's a stupid question!!! If you don't know how much money you can make, what the initial investment is, and what the market need & conditions are......YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS STARTING A BUSINESS!!!

johnny

That being said, it's a stupid question!!! If you don't know how much money you can make, what the initial investment is, and what the market need & conditions are......YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS STARTING A BUSINESS!!!

Well said 5 Star. Right on the nail head.

swood0024

i am thinking about buying a business that was started 5 yrs ago, it grosses mid 150's and he only brought in 44,000 last year so it isn't a lot but its a living and all you really have to pay is a house note. i make 50,000 now and its like pulling teeth to get a day off with an 1 1/2 drive to work every day. can't wait to be my own boss and cut out the drive to houston every day.

johnny

Don't quit your day job. Do you have health insurance there? That's a mighty high priced item when you are on your own. Good luck, whatever you decide.

PressurePros

$40K I would probably keep my day job but I do understand your point about being our own boss. The one thing most people do not foresee is that owning and operating a business is 24/7 and can be very stressful (as well as expensive). I wouldn't have it any other way but I also don't consider $40K a worthwhile salary unless it can run itself and is one of many positive income streams. That means hands off management.

swood0024

i am 22 and work for bnsf railroad yes the pay is good and the insurance is also very good but getting a day off without having a boss give you a guilt trip is seldom seen. yes i understand owning my own business days off are not going to come often, but i will be able to work from home sometimes doing paper work and what not and not be driving 4hrs a day just to go to work. i work 11-7 in houston in the not so good part of town. there are way to many backstabbers there and i am just tired of it all. i am not losing a whole lot i make 50,000 a yr and if i could do the same and be my own boss then thats what i would perfer to do. i think alot of you would agree as well. i have sat and thought many of nights, about how hard it will be, but if you want something you have to work for it, money isn't just going to show up in the bank. any helpfull tips ya'll have would be much appreciated

5 Star Johnny

it grosses mid 150's and he only brought in 44,000 last year

You're talking about buying this business? If he does "gross" $44K in salary from $150K, that might sound feasible. I'd have to believe his "net" before tax is considerably lower. While I understand your interest in owning your own business, the first solid business decision you better make is correctly evaluating what it's worth. Look very closely at the last 3 yrs. of books, and perhaps, have an accountant look too.

So.......you've got a boss that gives you a hard time? If you run a succesful company, you'll have hundreds of bosses to please. There's pros & cons that you can't explain or even imagine until you've done it. Personally, I think everyone should own their own business at least once.

Good luck!

Our Sponsors