Dawn & Bleach? Fume Issues! IS this safe???

fireandrain

Hey guys, so I went to mix up a batch of Dawn mixed with 3% bleach. Thought I read on this forum that this was a good all purpose cleaning mix. On the Dawn it says " Do NOT mix with Bleach"...so, naturally, I DID!

About 1o minutes later I felt like I was gonna pass out, so I masked up and got rid of the concoction.

Im trying to get a good tip on a bleach/detergent mix that would be effective applying with my deckster and would take on mossy/moldy brickwork with an attitude. Is this Dawn/Bleach mix as bad an idea as I think?

OCPW

fireandrain said:
Hey guys, so I went to mix up a batch of Dawn mixed with 3% bleach. Thought I read on this forum that this was a good all purpose cleaning mix. On the Dawn it says " Do NOT mix with Bleach"...so, naturally, I DID!

About 1o minutes later I felt like I was gonna pass out, so I masked up and got rid of the concoction.

Im trying to get a good tip on a bleach/detergent mix that would be effective applying with my deckster and would take on mossy/moldy brickwork with an attitude. Is this Dawn/Bleach mix as bad an idea as I think?

I use bleach and laundry detergent. I don't know if the detergent aids in the cleaning, but it does allow the bleach to bond longer to the surface being cleaned before it runs off.

CaroliProWash

CHECK THE LABEL. IF IT SAYS - DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH, you DON'T mix with bleach. Likely, your detergent contained oxygenated bleach, which when mixed with regular SH - causes - AH HA! Dizziness and bad gases!

Old cheap yellow Joy. Just make certain the label doesn't indicate that it's new oxygenated action!!!

Safety first - those directions are on the labels for a reason!

Celeste

clearview

can't say i've ever noticed that kind of reaction. lately i've been using a little degreaser with my SH, but seem to have had better results with Dawn. Don't know what to tell you.

CaroliProWash

Okay - clearly folks are not watching commercials or doing dishes :)

The newest rage in dish soap is the oxygenated action - kind of like the Oxyclean. Contained in these great new DISH SOAPS, is oxygenated bleach - sodium percarbonate - and I'm sure a host of other names, which one should NEVER mix with standard sodium hypochlorite.....just like it says on the LABEL!!

Unless you're intimately familiar with all of the dish soaps on the shelf and know NOT to grab the dark blue Dawn - YOU MUST READ THE LABEL!!!

Sorry to sound like a Mom here, but c'mon - no sense in not reading a label and killing yourself. That's not a good day :)

Second - if the entire reason for using an off the shelf dish soap to concoct your housewash is to save money - why grab the Dawn? Get the cheapo yellow Joy.

Celeste

clearview

i can definitely say I already knew that. Haven't used the oxygenated dawn junk because I knew better. just pointing out that i haven't had issues with the regular stuff, and yes I knew about the warning on the label, just didn't care. sometimes mom can be overprotective.

fireandrain

Hmmmm. thanks for all the help! Still puzzled though. Nothing on the bleach said oxygenated. Used Dawn Apple Blossum. Hmmm. Maybe I just inhaled bit to much of the 4%? Still using the cheapo 4% by the gal. Hoping to get my hands on some 12%. Hey Mark, any thoughts on where to find some in the Bay Area?

Jonney_boy

Why should you NOT grab the dark blue dawn???

After looking around my house, the "ultra dawn, original formula" was the only one that did NOT have the 'do not mix with bleach' on the label. I had some palmolovie and other sented dawn versions at home and they all said NOT to mix with bleach.

Our Sponsors