Welcome to the Power Wash Network "The Power Wash Contractors Forum".
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Salt water residue on windows
          
   
   

  1. #1
    Pocketarnie's Avatar
    Pocketarnie is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    62

    Default Salt water residue on windows

    Hi
    We cleaned the windows for a lovely couple in Naples, FL last week and they had a salt water pool with a small inlet near bay windows with 3 fountains. These fountains were splashing the large bay windows. When Jon tried cleaning them with our usual mix of Dawn and rainex they wouldn't foam up and the water marks wouldn't come off.
    It wasn't until after that the customer told us about the salt water pool. She has already had to have the window buffed. Is there anything that would get these marks off?
    WashandGlow LLC
    "A Higher Standard"
    Jon & Kat Fone
    Tel: 239-384-0208
    Paver & Concrete Sealing with Seal n Lock

    Pressure Washing * Window Cleaning
    Complete Dryer Vent Cleaning
    Awning Maintenance & Restoration
    Construction & Foreclosure Cleans

  2. #2
    Xtreme is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Try some barkeepers friend. Comes in a can like comet but is mostly oxalic acid so don't mix with bleach. sopping wet rag, wet window sprinkle some on the rag and scrub. works for hard water stains and really works well on tubs and showers.
    Pat Motz
    406-465-9334
    Search Engine Tweaks.com

  3. #3
    Doug Rucker's Avatar
    Doug Rucker is offline PWN TEAM - Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Porter, TX
    Posts
    1,357
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme View Post
    Try some barkeepers friend. Comes in a can like comet but is mostly oxalic acid so don't mix with bleach. sopping wet rag, wet window sprinkle some on the rag and scrub. works for hard water stains and really works well on tubs and showers.
    WHere do you get this PAt?


    Doug Rucker 281.883.8470
    Clean and Green Solutions

    I own and operate a Fantastic Pressure Washing and Awesome Roof Cleaning Service Company located in Houston Texas and Kingwood Texas

    Pressure Cleaning and Roof Cleaning School/Instruction

  4. #4
    Xtreme is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Lowes and HD both carry it. You might also find it in the grocery store in the cleaning aisle.
    Pat Motz
    406-465-9334
    Search Engine Tweaks.com

  5. #5
    archie_MN's Avatar
    archie_MN is offline PWN Team Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    237

    Default

    I think Pat's right, that stuff cleans just about everything.

  6. #6
    Pocketarnie's Avatar
    Pocketarnie is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Thanks Pat
    Gave Bar Keepers Friend a try today, it worked great. Had a job where painters had covered windows with spray sealant, really bad. Tried Bar Keepers Friend and it came right off, amazing.
    Always thought if something doesn't come off with fine steel wool, then it's not coming off, but this stuff bought sealant off with a wet cloth.
    Can't thank you enough.
    WashandGlow LLC
    "A Higher Standard"
    Jon & Kat Fone
    Tel: 239-384-0208
    Paver & Concrete Sealing with Seal n Lock

    Pressure Washing * Window Cleaning
    Complete Dryer Vent Cleaning
    Awning Maintenance & Restoration
    Construction & Foreclosure Cleans

  7. #7
    GumDestroyer's Avatar
    GumDestroyer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Eastern Washington State
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I use 50% water and 50% Zep Calcium, Rust, Lime product and don't let it dwell longer that 60 sec. then rinse. Be careful around metals.

    Mike Stenberg
    Okanogan Pressure Washing LLC

    Omak, WA 98841
    (509) 429-2291

    "We Clean It Up!"

  8. #8
    Xtreme is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Helena, MT
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocketarnie View Post
    Thanks Pat
    Gave Bar Keepers Friend a try today, it worked great. Had a job where painters had covered windows with spray sealant, really bad. Tried Bar Keepers Friend and it came right off, amazing.
    Always thought if something doesn't come off with fine steel wool, then it's not coming off, but this stuff bought sealant off with a wet cloth.
    Can't thank you enough.
    Glad it worked for you. The active ingredient is Oxalic Acid so I don't know if it is straight or mixed with something else but it does not scratch glass. Like Archie said, that stuff cleans just about anything.
    Pat Motz
    406-465-9334
    Search Engine Tweaks.com

  9. #9
    Jake6655 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I would suggest trying Kwik Shine with salt busters. It has great cleaning properties and will also dissolve the salt and convert it into a protective polish that will resist future attachment of salt.
    Jake Dowson
    executive window services
    residential window cleaning

  10. #10
    toomsmith is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocketarnie View Post
    Hi
    We cleaned the windows for a lovely couple in Naples, FL last week and they had a salt water pool with a small inlet near bay windows with 3 fountains. These fountains were splashing the large bay windows. When Jon tried cleaning them with our usual mix of Dawn and rainex they wouldn't foam up and the water marks wouldn't come off.
    It wasn't until after that the customer told us about the salt water pool. She has already had to have the window buffed. Is there anything that would get these marks off?
    you can also used the mixture of vinegar with liquid shop and now a day’s many chemicals are available, which helps to easily clean salt water pool.

    Window Cleaning in Calgary


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •